Wednesday, November 3, 2010

PREPARING FOR THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF FREESTYLE - AND THEN A WRENCH GOT THROWN IN!


With less than 3 days remaining before the 25th Anniversary of Freestyle Concert appears on the stage of Taj Mahal, I feel great about the whole thing!!!  I also feel a little, just a little stress.  There was so much to be done:  get a showtape done, find out what to wear - outfit, shoes, ,jewelry, rehearse with the band, and prepare fo the BIG surprise I have planned for the audience...I cannot say just yet what it is, because well, it's a surprise isn't it? LOL. 

I have had this surprise on my mind for a few years now actually...but because it seemed like such a big task, I shrank away from it whenever it popped into my head.  But this time, we're talking about 25 YEARS of FREESTYLE!!  For this show, I had to do something different.  I know that the fans have seen me perform about 78 times by now, lol, and when you do a show like this, you need to find a way to reinvent the show.  What can I do differently that I have never done before?  What's the wow factor?  No matter what I tried to do my idea for the surprise kept nagging and nagging at me: "Come on JUDY!!  Let's do it!!"  So, I took a deep breath and met with the executive producer of the show.  When I first told him my idea, he kind of smirked.  Then he was quiet...Have you ever tried to sell someone an idea?  Have you ever had only 5 minutes to convince someone that you're not delirious?  The bottom line is: the key is to believe in your vision; believe in it SO hard, that you use all your passion to explain it, and when you're done, your heart is pounding right out of your chest.  That's exactly what I did.  And then...he said, "Okay, Judy, let's do it...but you will have to do this, that, thensome, and call, and write and get permission, etc...."  No problem, I said...and then the work began.

So it took almost 3 weeks to convince EVERYONE involved that my idea was worthy of the stage. There were letters written, phone calls made, proposals put out, texts, lawyers....whew!!  And then I was told YES!!  And within 3 hours I was told NO...with the producer's help and my experience of having been a legal secretary...we were told YES again!!!

JOY!
ELATION!!!
BLISS!!!!!!

I have been walking on clouds about this idea. This surprise was my Trump card - the thing that would separate this show from any other.  I've been so excited, that when I was sharing the news with a friend, he accused me of sounding like I was having an orgasm!!! LMAO...Wow!!  So I guess you can see or hear how excited I was about it all!!  I was running to Brooklyn today to try on my outfit for Saturday...then I went home to finally rest. And the phone rang"

"Judy, it's Vito and xyz!"
"Hey, how are you guys??" 
"There's a problem."

And as I heard the words, my spirit was in disbelief. NO, this cannot be happening!!  My Trump card folded right before my eyes....

Now what do I do...???

We all took a deep breath, and tried to come up with plan B...but I don't want Plan B for an A Show.  This is when one must practice the art of surrender.  Did I do my best? Yes. Did I exhaust all the possibilities? Yes.  Do I have any control over the situation?  No...So I have no choice than to execute plan B, and surrender to the situation. The more I fight it, the more stressful I will be.  So, I put it in God's hands now - that what is meant to be will happen.  And I hope with all my heart that it will be good enough...that my voice and my performance will still speak volumes!!  God, you think you can intercede here?  Please...lol.

I think this blog was actually me venting...lol...hope that is okay too from time to time!!!  Thanks for reading!     

                 

4 comments:

  1. I am soooooooooo sorry they would not allow you to perfrom your big surprise!! Since lawyers were involved maybe they thought you might get hurt in some fashion???

    Judy, I am SURE your fans Saturday will be screaming for you throughout the show!! You have AMAZING charisma!!

    The only thing I might suggest depoending on how long you can perform on stage is maybe sing 1-3 songs that you rarely do?

    Just hope by a miracle Plan A comes alive by Saturday night!!!

    Love always
    Leslie Guttenplan XOOXXOOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that too. But don't let anyone squash you're dreams. If it's not meant to be for this audience, then you will find the right audience and the right people to make it happen. Keep believing in dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's alawys good to vent so vent away mama. sorry that they stopped your big surprise. but not to worry, i have a feeling it might just change again. give them all you got and hope you have an awesome show!! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sweetness: I'm sorry that your plans didn't work out. But don't give up. Maybe they'll change their minds or maybe not? If it doesn't happen this time maybe it could happen in a future show. Don't give up on your dream. Your future is alive and kicking. Your Fans are going to scream your name and dance to your music not matter what. I'm so excited for you!!!..Have a fabulous time. GOD will work things out for you.
    Love You,
    Connie Ruiz
    I'll be thinking about you and sending you a hug and positive thoughts. You will be amazing as always.

    ReplyDelete